Hiding That Weed Smell
Looking back on our college days, this article would have saved us a lot of stress and paranoia. First came the homemade bongs out of apples and water bottles. Then came the infamous towel stuffed under the door frame. It’s a classic move made by anybody who wishes to hide the weed smell from suspecting eyeballs.
Back in college, it was the RAs who’d bang on our dorm door to rat you out and find the source of that signature smell. Masking the marijuana aroma isn’t just for students, though. It may be practiced by apartment livers who have a nosy neighbor or strict building rules — and we’re here to help.
What Does Marijuana Smell Like?
The weed smell knows no boundaries. It can slip under your door, through your car window, and travel for miles. It doesn’t care if you like it or want it. It’s coming for you — your clothes, your home, even your hair. When left alone, the marijuana smell can linger for hours without any Febreze or air freshener. To the untrained nose, most marijuana strains likely smell the same. A little bit skunky, a little bit earthy, and a little bit woodsy. But the truth is, some marijuana strains come in “flavors” you’d never expect. Just look at these names!
- Sour Cheese (a sour, savory, cheesy smell)
- Cat Piss (an ammonia smell)
- Dog Sh*t (a funky, sour “bathroom” smell)
- Grandpa’s Breath (a musty blueberry smell)
But don’t let that throw you off! The marijuana smell can actually be pleasant and enjoyable. In fact, most of them are. These four are just a select few that smell like your worst nightmare come to life. Most marijuana strains have a more natural scent that can be described as…
How To Hide Marijuana Smoke In The Air
- Block the door crack. Remember that towel method we mentioned earlier? There’s a proper name for it! Some call it a door tube, others refer to it as a “sploof.” The purpose of a sploof is simple — trap the marijuana smell in your room by blocking that tiny crack under your door. It may be the most cost-effective way to hide the weed smell as it’s a house-made device. You can use a towel, an oversized hoodie, toilet paper rolls, or paper towel rolls from the kitchen.
- Buy an air purifier. If you’re trying to mask marijuana in the air specifically, an air purifier might just be your new best friend. Air purifiers are an easy way to eliminate smoke as soon as it is produced from your pipe, bong, or joint. This is especially important for consumers who smoke indoors. The fast you get rid of the smoke, the less chance you have of it sticking to your carpet, walls, and upholstery.
- Use a vape pen. Say what you will about vapers, but vaping is the most effective way to take smoke out of the equation. These pens deliver cannabinoids directly to the brain within seconds without the carcinogens or lingering scent, so it’s really a win-win. If it’s money you’re worried about, some vape pens sell for as low as $30. But if you want to get really fancy with your smoking accessories, feel free to invest in a $200 one.
Get The Weed Smell Out Of Your Hair & Clothes
- Take a shower. Unfortunately, marijuana smoke (along with the smell) isn’t limited to the air you breathe. Just because your RA or landlord may not smell weed when they walk through your living room, doesn’t mean they can’t get a whiff off your hair and clothes. Take a nice, long shower to eliminate smoke particles from your hair and skin. Use every product on your shelf if you have to. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body oil, body scrub, etc.
- Run a load of laundry. As soon as you’ve wrapped up your smoke session, change clothes and let laundry detergent work its magic. The sooner you get your clothes in the laundry the better. We know it’s not rocket science, but you’d be surprised at how many people forget once they’re high and deeply relaxed. House chores may be the last thing on your mind.
Best Smell-Proof Marijuana Containers
Since we want to be extremely thorough, we’ve rounded up the top-selling smell-proof containers for your bud. These cases come in handy when you’ve got grams of marijuana lying around the house. Be sure to keep your flower in a cool, dry place to prevent it from growing mold. These are the best smell-proof container brands.
- Loud DankTank
- Dope Turtle
- Herb Lab
Now, with all these tips and tricks in your pocket, hiding the weed smell should be easier than ever! Man, we really wish the guide was around when we were rambunctious teenagers. Better late than never, right? Tell us all the crazy ways you’ve tried to hide the marijuana smell before! We bet you’ve come up with some creative stuff.